This Event Has Passed.
Join us Thursday, August 24, for a webinar to help you understand how to use the Harmonized Tariff System (HTS) for imports and the Schedule B listing for exports. We will learn and review the six General Rules of Interpretation (GRI) used to classify every product. We will go through instructor and US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) based sample classifications using each of the GRIs.
By using the Customs Ruling Online Search System (CROSS), we will show how CBP reviews binding ruling requests and what that means for your products. After the training you will know where to go for help and what to look at when beginning to look at your own products. Many companies are exposing themselves unnecessarily by not regularly reviewing or understanding their own classifications. Importers and exporters are required to use reasonable care and due diligence in determining accurate classifications. Why not learn how to begin that process and keep your company in compliance?
- Understanding the HTS
- Learning the GRI
- Reviewing the roles of a customs broker, freight forwarder, and importer/exporter of record
- Learning the difference between a Schedule B and HTS number
- Understanding how to use CROSS
- Reviewing instructor and CBP based specific classification examples.
- Reviewing chapter 98 for proper US Goods returned/repairs/warranty classifications
- Going through the abbreviations for commodity classification and units of quantity/measure
- Determining the difference between duty, user fees, and antidumping/countervailing duties
Funded by the North Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership.